INNER WORK RETREAT A: ENNEAGRAM 2.0
This retreat offers an in-depth intensive experience of the three core instincts, the six instinctual sequences (the six possible ways in which the instincts can be “ordered”) and the twenty-seven subtype personalities. Through both group and individual work, video clips, and the latest teachings on the instincts and subtypes, we will learn about this important dimension of the Enneagram model. Within the context of a rich group setting, we will support each other in understanding the ways in which our dominant, secondary, and repressed instincts drive our behavior. We will also gain insight into how our instincts combine with our passions and our type patterns to structure our experience.
The exploration of the ways our personalities act out our instinctual biases and emotional and cognitive patterns will culminate in participants identifying specific growth challenges, working with them in-depth in real-time, and developing a plan for continuing inner work beyond the retreat.
This retreat will support and encourage you in doing powerful Enneagram-based inner work by providing the information, the experiences, the support, and the path to be able to intentionally rising above the habitual automatic reactivity of your personality.
You will learn:
- to recognize and understand defensive behavior driven by your instincts operating through your personality (sub)type patterns
- to see how your passion and instinctual makeup operate as a unified system
- to gain insight into how your passion combines with your instinctual needs to shape unconscious behavior
- much more about the ways in which the 6 instinctual sequences and the 27 subtypes manifest
- to become more conscious of unconscious, instinct-driven behavior and how to intercept it
- to compassionately support yourself in doing the work of seeing your animal nature and addressing and breaking free from self-limiting patterns
This Retreat is the first retreat in a three-retreat series that forms part of our program of inner Transformation–the Chestnut Paes Enneagram Academy Personal Mastery Program.
Dates: October 13-18, 202o
Times: We will meet from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm Pacific each day.
The Retreat will be held online.
INNER WORK RETREAT B: THE TRANSFORMATIONAL ENNEAGRAM
This is a five-day retreat taught by Beatrice Chestnut and Uranio Paes. This retreat is designed to take students through a deeper study of themselves and exploration and application of central methods of deep personal change connected to the Enneagram.
This includes structured self-reflection on family of origin issues, work with the internal arrow line movements on the Enneagram mat, meditation techniques, the Gurdjieffian centers of intelligence system, practice learning in small groups, and teachings on the Enneagram Virtues and Holy Ideas. Retreat A is a prerequisite for taking this retreat.
INNER WORK RETREAT C: THE ALCHEMICAL ENNEAGRAM
At this very special advanced inner work retreat, Beatrice Chestnut and Uranio Paes apply specific elements of the Enneagram, including defense mechanisms, subtypes and instincts, passions and Virtues, and fixations and Holy Ideas, to help people take further steps forward on their growth path. Students who have done the inner work associated with Retreats A and B, will be further challenged to become more aware of—and work against—the habitual nature of their personality, so they can attain greater freedom and realize more of their higher potential.
Specifically, we will support participants in:
- Assessing and addressing main pieces of psychological work still to be done, including anything connected to type and subtype patterns, emotional and mental patterns, passions and fixations, and shadows
- Understanding and working with defense mechanisms
- Further evoking the Virtues and Holy Ideas to loosen unconscious attachments to the passions and fixations.
- Higher level work with the arrow movements mapped by the inner dynamism of the Enneagram
- Reaching higher states and tapping into spiritual gifts and higher potential
The student may choose to participate in retreats A, B and C as separate events, but they need to be done in this order – meaning that your first step should be registering for Retreat A. However, after Retreat A, most of our students decide to enrol at the full Chestnut Paes Personal Mastery Program for a sustainable and comprehensive assisted process of inner transformation. In this case, the student is awarded a symbolic “martial arts belt” of a different colour at each step accomplished, indicating growing self-mastery levels.
- Step 1: Inner Work Retreat A–Enneagram 2.0. This first retreat focuses on learning theory connected to the Enneagram as a profound and accurate map of self-development. We study the Enneagram passions, types, subtypes, and instinctual drives. Then we explore our inner territory through telling brief stories of pivotal, character-shaping moments in our lives. Then we apply the map to the territory and embark on individual journey–specific pieces of inner work designed to address important areas where growth is needed to move forward on the path of development.
- Step 2: Integration time A–At Chestnut Paes Enneagram Academy, we believe in a process of development that goes beyond retreats and workshops in “the classroom.” This is why our Personal Mastery Program includes integration time with additional activities after each retreat. During Integration time A participating students will accomplish specific tasks that engage the head (intellectual level), heart (emotional level), and/or body (behavioral/physical/action level) and can be organized in terms of addressing Enneagram-guided theory, practice, and self-development. Tasks include meetings with a mentor to support a customized self-development plan informed by feedback from Uranio and Bea after Retreat A, as well as specific study and practice assignments.
- Step 3: Inner Work Retreat B–The Transformational Enneagram. By supporting each other in examining relationships with parents, elements of the personal shadow, and the ability to experience the 3 key egoic emotions, we will leverage Enneagram insights connected to the Gurdjieffian centers of intelligence, specific aspects of our arrow-connected points, meditation techniques, and small group learning focused on taking in feedback to do the work to dis-identify more completely from our egos. We will do challenging psychological work to create more balance, inner peace, and freedom from the personality patterns that keep us from reaching our higher potentials. This retreat also includes some physical/somatic “mat work” on the Enneagram symbol.
- Step 4: Integration Time B— The substance of Integration Time B is similar to Integration Time A, with inner work tasks, practices, and study assignments updated for where the person is at this point in their program, with an additional component of participation in a virtual peer support group.
- Step 5: Inner work Retreat C–The Alchemical Enneagram. At this retreat, students continue to deepen their inner growth using different aspects of the Enneagram symbol, Gurdjieffian work, and other sources from wisdom teachings. Students will do profound work on the Enneagram mat, and experience different levels of awareness through meditation and other forms of psycho-spiritual healing work. We will explore any remaining shadow work, energy field management, and ways of accessing the higher emotional center with the Virtues. We will also start exploring the Higher Mental Center and the Holy Ideas. Finally, we will do further work relaxing the defenses mechanisms that hold the personality in place, allowing for different degrees of spiritual experiences. We will work with mysterious elements of the Enneagram diagram as a map of process, including the existential fear and emptiness connected to “the void” symbolized by the gap between points 4 and 5.
- Step 6: Completion of the Personal Mastery Program, which awards the student with CP Enneagram’s black belt level. This includes a set of integration activities, a final self-observation report detailing work done through the program, an examination, and a final piece of work done with a personal mentor and the CP Enneagram Academy founders.
Beatrice Chestnut, PhD MA (Founder) is a psychotherapist, coach, and business consultant based in San Francisco. She holds graduate degrees in communication and clinical psychology and is the author of the books, The Complete Enneagram: 27 Paths to Greater Self-Knowledge, and The 9 Types of Leadership: Mastering the Art of People in the 21st century Workplace. She was president of the International Enneagram Association in 2006 and 2007. A student of the Enneagram for over 30 years, she currently offers Enneagram workshops internationally through the school she co-founded with Uranio Paes, Chestnut Paes Enneagram Academy. In their work around the world, Beatrice and Uranio focus on using the Enneagram as a tool for personal and professional transformation.
Uranio Paes, MM (Founder) is internationally recognized as a leading Enneagram facilitator, coach, and organization development consultant. He has worked in corporate settings for over two decades and now specializes in doing transformational work with groups and individuals based on the Enneagram.
A former President of the International Enneagram Association, for many years Uranio taught the Enneagram Worldwide Narrative Tradition Professional Training (EPTP) Program in Brazil, Spain, Portugal, and Italy. He is founder and CEO of Mundo Eneagrama/Chestnut Paes Online, a global Enneagram learning community that offers a large variety of high-quality Enneagram content online. And he is co-founder with Beatrice Chestnut of Chestnut Paes Enneagram Academy, an Enneagram School that offers workshops internationally focusing on using it as a tool for inner transformation and professional development.
The Chestnut Paes Personal Mastery Program for inner transformation supports individuals committed to deeper personal transformation on a challenging path of development.
Specifically, it is for:
- Individuals seeking deeper ways to apply the insights gained through the Enneagram system of personality.
- People committed to their own development and self-improvement path.
- Individuals ready for profound healing experiences that can allow for freedom from anxiety related to early trauma.
- People desiring more fulfilling relationships who are willing to do the work on self required to develop the capacity to remain non-defensive and open in the face of both conflict and real contact–to be able to grow with others in love and friction.
- Individuals looking for opportunities to learn in community with others to further their progress on a psychological healing path or spiritual journey.
Please note: This intensive process is only for people who are motivated to apply the Enneagram to initiate a real journey of internal change. If you want to engage with the Enneagram on a more superficial level, or if you don’t wish to engage with the psychological and spiritual dimensions of the Enneagram, this is not the program for you.